AVID Information- Jemez Valley Public Schools
What is AVID?
AVID is (Advancement via Individual Determination) is a system of instruction that challenges students to focus on themselves academically, encourages them to enroll in advanced placement classes, and prepares them for college. Being an AVID student is like having a personal coach through middle and high school! AVID attempts to ensure that students enrolled in the program will:
- Begin a college preparatory path. Students will participate in a class that helps develop strategies and study skills which encourage academic excellence.
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum. Students are encouraged to take one or more advanced classes. Tutorial sessions with adult tutors are provided to support them with advanced coursework.
- Engage in extracurricular activities. Students are encouraged (but not required) to participate in a variety of activities that will promote positive connection to school as valuable life experiences.
- Become educated and responsible participants in our society. Students are expected to develop and focus on career goals that can be attained through consistent personal effort. Field trips and guest speakers are part of the AVID curriculum.
How Does AVID fit into a Student’s Schedule?
Avid 7th and AVID 8th are full- year electives at Jemez Valley. A student may apply for AVID in the 6th, 7th ,8th or 9th grade. Once accepted, a student does not need to reapply to remain in AVID every year they are at Jemez Valley. Dismissal from AVID will be on a personal basis. Discipline concerns and lack of effort will be grounds for immediate dismissal/re-enrollment.
Who is Eligible for AVID?
AVID is looking for students earning GPA grades no higher than 3.5 or lower than 2.0; i.e. in the “academic middle”. They might be reaching their full academic potential due to poorly developed note-taking, organization, study skills, or personal barriers. AVID wants students who have the desire and determination to challenge themselves academically in a supportive and caring environment.
How Do I Become an AVID student at Jemez Valley?
Students must apply and be selected to participate. The process for 7th and 8th grade applicants includes a written application, teacher recommendations and a personal interview.
What is the Contract for JVPS students?
An AVID contract must be signed by the student, parents/guardians, Principal, and AVID coordinator prior to every school year. It requires students to agree to:
- Maintain an organized AVID binder
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
- Participate in AVID tutorials
- Maintain passing grades and a GPA of 2.0 or higher
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THE AVID BROCHURE PICTURED BELOW